Image source: Homecareinsight.co.uk
Before creating unique content, one must be aware of the concept of plagiarism or duplicate content Plagiarism by definition not only means stealing someone’s words, but also stealing ideas. Even if someone paraphrases without due credit to the source, it is called plagiarism.
This aspect of giving “due credit to the source” is essential. One can copy someone else’s work as long as the writer put it within quotation marks and cite sources. In this way, the writer acknowledges the hard work of the source creator.
The creation of unique content also depends a lot on the unique ideas one uses to create a blog post or content on a site. As long as one’s thoughts are unique, it is challenging for one to come up with a plagiarized matter.
However, if a business person is looking for original content, s/he has to first know about the various forms of plagiarism. In that way, creating or identifying unique content becomes very comfortable.
Varied forms of copied content or plagiarism
It is essential to know the various kinds or forms of plagiarism. Some of them are given below:
- Direct Plagiarism: It is the word-for-word replication of a portion of someone else’s work, without the due attribution or quotation marks.
- Mosaic plagiarism: Interesting parts of someone else’s texts in someone’s own words into content without giving owing acknowledgment.
- Paraphrasing: Using another person’s work with just a few alterations or with the change of voice and style is paraphrasing.
- Self-plagiarism: Submitting someone’s own previously written report without prior information.
Any form of plagiarism is considered wrong, and strict actions are taken against the person plagiarising even when the act is unintended.
However, it is mostly accidental plagiarism that is common in articles. And thus, it is essential to use a plagiarism checker for business to check for duplicate content.
How does a plagiarism checker work?
The technique of plagiarism detection is quite simple. A short piece of text is taken and searched for in other documents uploaded across the web. And this is repeated for any number of text fragments in a document.
The plagiarism scanner scans for similar texts or textual styles in
- Local resources of journals and publications.
- Compares significant portions of text in existing documents.
- Searches across different search engines for similarities
Usually, one has to enter the text to be checked in the box provided or give links to the site. The plagiarism checks have to be conducted and run the program. The plagiarism scanner runs the necessary scans and searches its own database and those available online.
How much plagiarism is acceptable, and why?
It then presents a comprehensive report about the kind of plagiarism existent and the extent of the same. Some plagiarism checkers also give the percentage of plagiarism present in the document. About 5%-7% of plagiarism is usually acceptable. Still, it depends on many factors, including the purpose of the article and its type.
- Usually, complex mathematical algorithms are used to convert an intricate work, such as a file, or text into a unique string.
- A string of text from one document is taken and compared to find the same series in other documents.
- The algorithm detects the uniqueness of a person’s writing style and compares it to other writings.
Direct plagiarisms are easy to detect, while accidental or mosaic plagiarisms require complex algorithms.
Features of a plagiarism checker
Good plagiarism checkers have a few features that help users prepare unique content.
- Grammar check: Most online plagiarism checkers have an option of grammar checking or spelling correction. This helps to improve the overall article quality.
- Suggestion: Many plagiarism checkers point out which parts of a document have been plagiarized and provide recommendations on how to change them.
They usually check through open source libraries, web pages, and internal repositories. A rough draft of this kind helps in creating original content.
- Percentage: Plagiarism checkers not only provide a detailed account of the present plagiarism bit also gives a report of how much plagiarism is present. This helps to understand how much of the text one has to change.
- Links to sites: Plagiarism checkers often give backlinks to sites where a similar article was obtained. This helps check for other websites that might use parts of that article.
How businesses can benefit from plagiarism checkers
Any business, whether big or small, is built on clear communication with the customer. Hence, creating unique content that is true to the business’s morals and policy is what everyone aims for. Plagiarism checkers help in this aspect, producing high-quality original articles that help promote businesses.
It saves time and effort by running checks and coming up with fast and accurate results within seconds of running the checks. These tools use their unique algorithms to test strings of texts against indexed web pages.
Also, with the increased number of online articles on different topics, it is easy to plagiarize. Under such circumstances, the page with copied content gets flagged down due to plagiarism claims, and the search engines will bring down its ranks.
The page can also receive copyright infringement complaints, which is bad for business. Due to these reasons, a lesser number of target audiences will stumble upon it.
This is hugely detrimental. Hence it is better to use a duplicate content checker to ensure that the content on a site or blog always stays on top.